Basking in the warm glow of the sun can give you joy, though it is best when done in moderation. As per the American Academy of Dermatology, 80 per cent of the sun’s harmful rays or UV rays can penetrate your skin even on cloudy days. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation can cause premature skin aging, sunburn, and skin cancer. In order to prevent this exposure, sun-protective clothing like shoulder wrap, swimwear and shirts are made available in the market. You can purchase them from online retailers at your convenience. The Skin Cancer Foundation states that ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) clothing is effective and beneficial. To know the benefits of UV protection wraps, keep reading this article.
1. It can minimise the risk of skin cancer: There are variations in skin cancers, and many are associated with UV radiation. When you wear UV protection wraps, it can prevent sunburns that occur due to the sun’s exposure to the skin for a long time. Sunburns will not only make you feel low about your appearance but can also cause skin cancer. Some common symptoms of sunburn are red, painful, itchy skin, which is hot to the touch. Your skin can also blister. Some of the treatments include pain relievers and creams to alleviate itching. When it comes to cancer, it is an expensive treatment. Hence, it is best to invest in sun protection clothing rather than invest in expensive treatments.
2. It can safeguard your immune system: Are the sun and the immune system correlated? Well, there is a science behind this. Prolonged exposure in the sun tampers with the antigen present on the cells. This antigen is found on the epidermis layer of the skin and can sense any foreign or harmful antigen that interferes with the skin. The immune system recognises and destroys these antigens allowing the dangerous cells to act on your skin, which can lead to severe health conditions. Along with wearing shoulder wraps, you can cover your face with hats and protect your eyes with sunglasses. Additionally, you can also choose the right type of sunscreen for overall protection.
3. It can prevent skin irritation: Walking or hiking without UV protection clothing can affect your skin’s health. You might feel some sort of prickling on your skin. The ultraviolet rays or UV rays can cause itchiness if you are exposed to the sun for a prolonged time. You can bring your sun protection wraps along with your maxi dress for a more comfortable sunbath.
4. It can cover your skin: It’s not just the face that gets exposed due to sunlight. Your arms might require covering too from the scorching sun. With a shoulder wrap, you can protect your arms. Well, it is a stylish way of protecting yourself from the sun.
5. Its fabric is quick dry: Generally, quick-dry fabrics are utilised in sportswear, towels, undergarments, outdoor and travel wear. Sun protection clothing like wraps or arm sleeves is made from quick-dry fabric. The function of the fabric is that it can draw out the moisture due to sweat and make you feel more comfortable and airy. Clothing without a quick-dry material can allow 20 per cent of the UV rays to penetrate it. In a nutshell, regular clothing can reduce the UPF rating of the fabric. So, if you are wearing a regular t-shirt or a dress, it doesn’t protect you from the sun and can lead to health issues when exposed for a long time. Hence, it is recommended to purchase clothes with the quick-dry feature.
Sun protection isn’t just for the summer or sunny days. No matter the weather, you must select clothing to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Taking precautions keeps your skin healthy and allows you to have more fun in the sun.