Are your window blinds not looking graceful anymore? Do they appear dirty and mouldy? While cleaning the window coverings may seem like a hassle, regular upkeep reduces the effort and trouble.
Not only that! You won’t be required to change your blinds for a very long time. Though it’s not difficult to find wholesale blind suppliers, you can save money by regularly cleaning your window blinds.
Apart from cleaning, keeping them fresh and sanitised is also crucial. Here, you will find some easy tips to maintain and clean your window covers correctly.
What You Need to Know
Window blinds give you privacy, maintain the home’s temperature and keep the appearance in check. If you keep your window blinds clean and well-maintained, it adds a lot to your home.
The reflective blinds can be beneficial as they reduce the heat entering your house by 45 per cent when closed on a scorching day. However, these can create hygiene issues if dirt and filth accumulate over time. To properly maintain windows’ blinds, you should first understand their function and material.
A window blind consists of long slats connected by cords to hold them together. These cords help you operate the blinds to fold and unfold them.
Lightly Cleaning the Blinds
No doubt, blinds make your home stylish and eye-pleasing. But it requires regular cleaning.
- For occasional cleaning, use the feather duster, a microfiber cloth or a vacuum for dusting the slatted blinds.
- Start from top to bottom to clean the blinds effectively and quickly. You can easily remove the outer layer of dust using these simple items.
Proper and Thorough Cleaning
To clean your window blinds properly, you need to make a lot more effort. You will need a mild detergent and a wiping cloth.
- Mix the detergent into a bucket full of water.
- Damp the cloth in the water and squeeze out the excess before wiping.
- Use the cloth to sweep the blind slats from both sides.
- Add a bit of baking soda to the soapy water for more dirty blinds to clean more effectively.
- You can also use an old sock to clean the hard-to-reach corners of the blinds by putting them on as a glove and wiping them one by one.
Deep Cleaning Your Blinds
Deep cleaning them is best if a thick layer of dirt gets stuck on your blinds which won’t come off quickly.
- You will require to unhinge them from the window and lay them in a water-filled tub with detergent.
- Leave the blinds soaked in the water for a couple of hours before removing the remaining dirt with a sponge or cloth.
- Let them dry for some time and hang again once done.
How Often to Clean Your Blinds at Home?
Once blinds start collecting dust and grime, it ruins your home’s overall aesthetics. So, it’s better to clean them on time than wait. However, there is no fixed period; dusting twice a week is a good way to maintain cleanliness.
You can decrease or increase the cleaning rate depending on how quickly it gets filthy.
Blinds not only save your home from excess heat gain but also improve the aesthetics. Properly caring for your blinds is easy. Follow the above tips and try to clean your blinds at regular intervals.
If they still look dingy and stained after thoroughly cleaning, surf the internet to find wholesale blind suppliers. And do not forget to start maintaining and caring for the blinds from the beginning.